Performs basic through advanced testing procedures on patient and/or donor samples and interprets results in accordance with regulatory guidelines and organizational policies and procedures.
We Offer Additional Employee Benefits for Medical Technologist and Therapeutic Apheresis Specialist (RN) positions
- Shift differential pay for night and weekend schedules
- Company-paid annual CEU training & CE Broker account
- Reimbursement for professional licenses
- Educational assistance
- Student loan repayment program
- Relocation assistance
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the duties and responsibilities performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Accepts, verifies and processes incoming blood and blood components or samples of the same.
- Performs and interprets various testing procedures on donor and patient specimens as well as blood products, repeating tests where appropriate
- Maintains and monitors required records and files, written or electronic
- Performs quality control, equipment maintenance and calibration as required
- Identifies and resolves potential patient care issues related to transfusion
- Provides oversight and direction of Lab Assistants and Lab Technicians as required
- Mentors and train other laboratory employees as required
- Utilizes computer system to obtain necessary data and to record test results
- Participates in the ongoing monitoring for each testing process to identify errors or potential problems leading to errors and takes effective and preventive corrective actions when indicated
- Participates in an on-call rotation
- Performs the essential functions of the Lab Technician and Lab Assistant as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a biological science or related scientific field from an accredited college or university or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training and or experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations and Designations:
- Valid and current Florida Clinical Laboratory Technologist license in Immunohematology or Blood Banking. In certain specialty laboratories performing HLA, molecular testing or patient testing, other Florida licenses may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to read technical procedures and governmental regulationsAbility to organize work for timely completion
- Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to read, write and speak English effectivel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Skill in operating office equipment
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Ability to commute with personal transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to periodically perform moderately physically demanding work, usually involving lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling moderately heavy objects and materials (up to 50 pounds). (Tasks that require moving objects of significant weight require the assistance of another person and/or use of proper techniques and moving equipment.) Tasks may involve some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling or prolonged sitting or standing.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Functions are regularly performed inside and/or outside with potential for exposure to adverse conditions, such as inclement weather, atmospheric elements and pathogenic substances. Performance of this job could expose the employee to blood-borne pathogens. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Apply For This Position