Full Time Blood Bank Technology Program
Opportunity for OneBlood Employees Only
The Blood Bank Technology (BBT) program is a three (3) month long, full time, paid program where employees are solely focused on successful completion of OneBlood’s BBT program. Lectures may be asynchronous allowing students to complete online training from anywhere, or synchronous allowing the students and instructor to interact with each other in real time, from different locations via video conference. Concepts and techniques learned in didactic materials are reinforced through hands-on experience in the student laboratory. Upon successful completion of the program, participants are eligible for the certification examination offered by the American Association of Bioanalysts (AAB).
Topics during the program include:
Basic Laboratory Knowledge | Immunology | Genetics | Blood Donor Collection | Infectious Disease Testing | Component Manufacturing | Storage | Distribution | Quality Control Testing | Blood Groups | Pretransfusion Testing | Blood Utilization | Blood administration | Adverse Events of Transfusion
For any questions and inquiries about the program, please reach out to Wyenona Hicks and Julie Laureano at MTEducation@oneblood.org
The required prerequisites for the BBT Program include:
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Chemical or Biological Science, with 24 semester hours of academic science including 6 semester hours of biological sciences and 6 semester hours of chemical sciences
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 overall.
- Minimum of six (6) months OneBlood work experience within Biologics or Labs required
- Eligible candidates may not have active corrective actions on file.
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended should be:
- Mailed to: Wyenona “Nonie” Hicks, MS, MT (ASCP) SBB
10100 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. N., St. Petersburg, FL 33716
- Further detailed requirements can be found in the Job listing on MyCareers
If selected for the program, trainees must agree:
- To acquire a Florida Clinical Laboratory Technologist Trainee License in Immunohematology and Blood Banking.
- Students will be paid a salary plus benefits.
- To maintain fulltime employment in good standing by OneBlood during the BBT Program, and not perform any work for OneBlood in any other capacity during the hours he/she is on student status.
- To Travel as needed. Reimbursement will follow OneBlood policy.
- If after two (2) quizzes or exams, the Student’s average is less than 75%, Student may be dismissed from the BBT Program. After three (3) instances of either tardiness (later than 15 minutes) or unexcused absences, the Student may be dismissed from the BBT Program. Decisions concerning dismissal will be made by the BBT Advisory Committee.
- To be placed in open positions available within OneBlood. OneBlood will determine the work location, or OneBlood affiliate facility, where Student will be employed as well as placed in a shift as available. Additionally, Student may be required to relocate to meet the recruitment needs of OneBlood.
- To be voluntarily employed by OneBlood for two years after the program.
- To reimburse OneBlood per the contract agreement should a breach of contract occur.
A more detailed contract will be provided to Trainees who are offered positions in the program.
Required forms to upload
- OneBlood BBT Application for Admission
- Photo ID
- Transcript Evaluation* - If applicable (not required)
Required Emailed forms
- OneBlood BBT application Reference Form - Completed and sent by three references.
- Official Transcripts
Please be sure to email your reference form and official transcripts to MTEducation@oneblood.org.
The reference forms and official transcripts can also be mailed directly to the program director
Wyenona Hicks, MS, MT(ASCP)SBB
BBT Program Director
10100 Dr. Martin Luther King St. N.
St. Petersburg, Florida 33716