How Long After a Tattoo Can You Donate Blood?
In the state of Florida, you can donate blood after getting a tattoo as soon as the tattoo heals and as long as it was received from a licensed tattoo facility.
However, you can’t donate blood after getting a tattoo if it was received from a non-regulated or an unlicensed establishment. In this case, you must wait a 3-month deferral period before you can donate again.
Keep in mind that these requirements can change by state, so be sure to check with your local blood center for their regulations.
Fun Facts About Tattoos
- Nearly 145 million Americans have tattoos
- About 47% of Millennials (those born between 1981 - 1994) have one or more tattoos
- The oldest continuously operating tattoo shop in the U.S. is Bert Grimm's Tattoo (now called Outer Limits) located in Long Beach, CA
- It's ten times more expensive to have a tattoo removed than to get one
- National Tattoo Day happens on July 17th each year
Tattoo or non-tattooed friends who are ready to donate can find a Big Red Bus or Donor Center near them. Make your mark and roll up your sleeve to help keep a ready blood supply for your community!