A surge in COVID-19 cases combined with the fact hospitals are providing convalescent plasma earlier in treatment is driving demand to new heights.
“The need for convalescent plasma and the number of sick patients that are coming in on a daily basis is staggering. We absolutely need people who have recovered from the virus to contact OneBlood and donate as soon as possible”, said Candice Sareli, M.D., Chief Medical Research Officer at Memorial Healthcare System in Miami, Florida.
“We've seen a shift of utilizing convalescent plasma in patients that are outside of the intensive care unit. We are using convalescent plasma 50% more now than we were before”, said Eduardo Oliveira, M.D., Executive Medical Director of Critical Care at Advent Health in Orlando, Florida.
In addition to meeting all FDA donor eligibility to be a blood donor, COVID-19 convalescent plasma donors must have complete resolution of symptoms at least 14 days prior to donation and provide one of the following:
• Provide prior diagnosis of COVID-19 documented by a laboratory test or a letter from a hospital confirming a COVID-19 diagnosis
• OR, provide a positive serological test for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies
Appointments are required to donate convalescent plasma
• Fill out the submission form and our convalescent plasma team will contact you within 24-48 hours to set up an appointment.
• All donors are required to wear a mask.
• Convalescent plasma donations take about 90 minutes from registration to donation.
***Video was filmed before the mandatory mask requirement. All donors and OneBlood team members are required to wear a mask.